Wednesday 30 September 2009

Sympathy For The Devils

So you may have gathered that I am not generally a supporter of English teams in Europe, unless it is the Toon or Fulham (I lived opposite the Cottage for a year), but having just watched the United game, if a British team has to win, I would like it to be them.

But this shocks even me. My earliest football memory was of United being the bad guys, they where responsible for 'I would love it'. They ruined the glorious dream time and time again. Loosing the league to them was probably a bit early for me, but in the 1999 FA Cup final those bastards reduced me to tears. My controversial among ten year olds decsision to support Bayern Munich in the Champions League final seemed fully justified. I remember a glorius Shearer inspired 4-3 a few seasons later, still that win is up there in terms of my favourite Newcastle memories. Jose Mourinho's touchline run brought joy to my heart.

But something changed. I think it was Arsenal and Chelsea that did it. United didn't win the league for a few seasons, went out of Europe early a few times. My viewpoint definately softened. During the Moscow final i suprised myself. I genuinely wanted United to win, and the fact that they did so during a game in which Ronaldo missed a penalty and then cried lots was perfect.

Now Ronaldo and Kenyon are gone really am struggling to find an acceptable hate figure. So Fergie is an obvious one, but I can't do it. I don't know why, I just can't. And besides, a man who took Aberdeen to European glory would be a hero if he hadn't done those things to Kev.

No hate figures is one thing, but I like, actually like the fact that here is a team that can take on the best in the world, but that features on a regular basis Ferdinand, O'Shea, Carrick, Fletcher, Neville, Hargreaves (God rest his sole), Rooney, Giggs and now Owen. It feels like a British team, unlike Liverpool, Arsenal or Chelsea. And i can't help but love Nemanja Vidic, what with my natural soft spot for eastern european talent, Ji Sung Park was a favourite since the glory days of Mr Ahn and co. in 2002, and if Ji Sung loves Patrice Evra which he clearly does (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=br25EVIx8RA), then I can too.

See what I mean, i just used 'love' when talking about United. Still hope they loose at the weekend mind.

No comments: